The Triumvirate of Web Skills
He identified them (my very abbreviated excerpt) as
- User -- "what users want"
- Business -- "(alignment) to business or market objectives"
- Tools -- technology options
- UI -- though now I would prefer to characterize that as User Experience
- IA -- Information Architecture; making sure that relevant information was available and findable
- Infrastructure -- the hardware, software, and maintenance activities involved in running the site
Perhaps the biggest difference between then and now is the proliferation of technologies to keep up with. Quoting Jeremiah: "Lastly, a Web Strategist needs to know how each and every tool and technology work, they’ll need to know the strengths, benefits, limitations and costs." Best of luck to all of us on that one!